By CAЯL – Age 5 I lost a tooth yesterday and boy was I excited this morning when I found Continue Reading »
Why Choose a Pediatric Dentist?
Why choose a pediatric dentist over your regular dentist? It’s simple. The word pediatrics means “healer of children.” Pediatric dentists are dedicated to the oral health of children from infancy through teenage years. They have the experience, qualifications and training to care for a child’s teeth, gums and mouth through the various stages of development.
Pediatric Dentists Have Completed:
- At least four years of dental school
- Two additional years of residency training in dentistry for infants, children, teens and children with special needs
In 2005, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that tooth decay is the most chronic disease among children aged five to seventeen. It is five times more common in children than asthma and seven times more common than hay fever. Pediatric dentists are aware of the risk of poor oral health facing young people today and the lifelong complications that can follow. These professionals are committed to helping prevent poor dental habits that lead to tooth decay and to provide the proper care to children experiencing dental problems.
Pediatric Dentistry Treatments:
- Infant oral health exams
- Preventative dental care, including cleaning and fluoride treatments
- Cavity and tooth defect repair
- Management of gum diseases and other mouth conditions
- Habit counseling regarding issues such as thumb-sucking, pacifier use, or bottle rot
- Early assessment and treatment of orthodontics
- Care for dental emergencies such as fractured teeth
Other reasons to choose a pediatric dentist: They know how to examine and treat kids in ways that make kids feel comfortable and less fearful. Usually pediatric offices are decorated with children in mind and equipped with kid-friendly entertainment options and rewards. It’s also less intimidating for children to be surrounded by other kids in the office.
To experience the care of one of Salt Lake and Utah Valley’s top pediatric physicians, call Stevenson Pediatrics today and set up an appointment. Call 801-938-7870.